Contractors, Construction and Trades Insurance

Contractors, Construction and Trades Insurance

For more info, contact

Matthew Carr


Peter Rowbotham

Account Executive | Broker

When you work in construction and trades, you want to protect yourself, your employees, your equipment, and your material. This can mean having any combination of liability, property; building and property onsite and offsite, stock, installation floater, employer’s liability coverage, builder’s risk coverage, and wrap-up to provide assurance should anything go awry on or off the job site.

Connect with a broker who understands how to work in steel-toe boots!

What type of businesses should talk to a broker about contractors insurance options? Contractors insurance can protect a wide variety of trades in the construction industry. Roofers, electricians, landscapers, window and door installers, HVAC technicians and painters and many more can benefit from having this kind of coverage in place. From independent general contractors to larger teams, connect with your local broker to find the insurance solutions available to suit your unique needs depending on the size of your team and scope of services provided.

Having dependable contractor insurance is important for skilled trades. Trust in us to get you covered, so you can do what you do best. Build your business.


  • Trades and utilities (ex. plumbers, electricians, carpenters)
  • Mechanical contractors
  • Commercial and residential developers
  • HVAC installers and service operations
  • Renovation and general contractors
  • Commercial real estate and property management companies
  • Commercial and residential landscapers
  • Snow removal operations
  • Paving operations
  • Excavation companies


  • Location of the business
  • Size of the business
  • Past claims record
  • Annual gross revenues of the business
  • Size of project/value of building upon completion
  • Duration of project
  • Types of operations on-site (ie. demolition, tunneling, drilling, snow removal, mining)
  • Type of project (residential, commercial, or industrial)
  • Is it private? Is it for government?
  • Is it near an airport or rural?
  • Does the work on-site include flammables (ie use of explosives for demolition, underpinning buildings)
  • Crime rate in construction project location
  • Is there structural work being done? Raising or moving structures?
  • Experience of the crew/contractors
  • Type/age/value/limit of equipment and tools being insured
  • Security on site (gated site, night security, visibility from main road)


In our Construction Outlook panel we sat down with industry experts and thought leaders in Construction Law, Insurance and fellow experts in the field – in both Commercial and Residential – to discuss key trends and questions for the industry going into the new year.

DATE: October 26, 2021 | TIME: 3:00-4:00 PM (EST)
Darryl Pochailo | Terlin Construction LTD
Derrick Roberts | Aviva Canada
Geoffrey Cullwick | Brazeau Seller Law
Moderated by our President, Matthew Carr, CIP


I need insurance for my construction business, can you help me?


Similar to how you quote on the scope of a project, we quote on the scope of your business. What kind of insurance you need would depend on answers to questions like:

  • What type of work do you do?
  • What tools and equipment do you use?
  • How many company vehicles?
  • Do you have an office and staff?

Can I get my winter snow operations covered?

Snow coverage in Ontario has been increasingly difficult. With the right broker in your corner, armed with the right information and industry relationships, we can work together on getting you the best possible coverage for your business.

What does Commercial General Liability cover?

Commercial General Liability (CGL) the most used portions of this coverage are for third-party bodily injury and property damage. Think slip and falls for example.

Do you do surety/bonds?

We sure do!

We have a wide range of surety companies we work with based on your specific needs. We understand some requests for bonds have quick timelines, especially for bids. Understand that setting up a bonding facility takes time, it’s best to start that process well before you are submitting a bid.

Learn more about our surety options here.

How many vehicles do I have to have to qualify for fleet insurance?


Once you have five or more vehicles that drive, on the roads, you can qualify for commercial fleet insurance. With a fleet policy in place, there can be considerable cost savings on premiums.

Learn more about Commercial Fleet Insurance solutions.

What is the claims process for business insurance?

Connect with your local broker. We are here in the event of an emergency, 24/7. We will take down the pertinent information and assist in getting the claims process started.

As your broker, we are on your team. If you have any questions along the way, we are here to advocate on your behalf throughout the claims process.

While you build your business, trust us to protect it.

Landscaping Contractors?

We have you covered. Learn more about landscaping coverage with Gifford Carr here.

Have questions about Surety?

We understand the impact and importance of the timely delivery of surety bonds for your business projects.

Let’s get your project, protected.

Learn More

Get in touch
Get in touch
Get in touch
Complete the form to connect with your local Gifford Carr broker to get a detailed quote. Trust us to ensure you are protected. So you can focus on what matters.

    What type of insurance are you shopping for? Select all that apply.

        Contact our team
        Contact our team
        Contact our team
        Complete the form to connect with your local Gifford Carr broker to get a detailed quote. Trust us to ensure you are protected. So you can focus on what matters.

          Builder's Risk

          Builder's Risk

          Otherwise known as construction insurance in Ontario, provides protection for your project or contracting business.

          business interruption errors and omission icon
          business interruption errors and omission icon

          Builder’s risk insurance is designed to cover projects (properties, homes, or buildings, both commercial and residential) that are under construction, renovation, or repairs, from direct damage. It is a form of property insurance that covers property owners and builders for projects throughout the project.

          Similar to building and personal property coverage, this protects you against things like weather events that could affect your project, the difference of this one is it is specifically for during the construction project.

          Commercial General Liability

          Commercial General Liability

          An essential for all business operations.

          Commercial General Liability Icon
          Commercial General Liability Icon

          Commercial general liability insurance may cover you against claims for bodily injury or property damage to others arising from your contractor or construction activities.

          Learn more about Commercial General Liability.

          Commercial Vehicles

          Commercial Vehicles

          Don’t let transportation incidents don’t slow you down.

          This coverage protects your licensed vehicles – we are talking about everything from your pick up trucks and service vehicles to dump trucks and tractor trailers. When contractors and construction businesses are on the road traveling from the shop to the job site and anywhere in-between, commercial vehicle insurance may cover your vehicles, so incidents don’t slow you down.

          Over 5 vehicles? You may qualify for Fleet Insurance.
          Which may result in a savings for having multiple policies.

          Employee Liability

          Employee Liability

          There is a chance an employee could reject WSIB and hold you as the employer responsible for an injury on a job site.

          WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board) is mandatory in the construction industry.

          Unlike Workers’ Compensation, employee liability is not mandatory, though it is highly recommended. Administration errors happen, and an employer’s liability option available can be worthwhile for these situations. Employer liability insurance is coverage that can be added to a Commercial General Liability policy and is designed to protect an employer from those costs of work-related illness, injuries, and deaths. If an accident happens, and your I’s haven’t been dotted and your T’s not crossed, think of employee liability coverage is your safety net.

          Learn more and apply for WSIB for your construction business here.

          Environmental Liability

          Environmental Liability

          Environmental liability insurance is there to provide funds to remediate the site as quickly as possible.

          Accidental spills from slip tanks or equipment leaks (oil or fuel) are risks on the job site.

          We need to take precautions to protect the environment should a disaster or environmental incident occur. If they do, remediation of these incidents can be costly, and the process to clean up is more challenging, especially if the damage has leaked onto a third-party property. Environmental liability coverage can be added to help cover these kinds of scenarios.

          Equipment, Tool and Installation Floaters

          Equipment, Tool and Installation Floaters

          Whether you are tasked to construct a new building, remodel a kitchen, install a fountain, or landscape a garden, the tools, equipment, and materials you use are vital.

          Icon Contractor
          Icon Contractor

          Equipment and Tool Floaters have your tools of the trade covered both in transit and while off-site. There are a couple of ways to set up your coverage, for both tools and equipment:
          1. A blanket amount with a maximum limit per individual piece of equipment/tool.
          2. A scheduled limit per piece where you tell us what each item is worth, and we identify each item to the insurance company.

          It is important to clarify that for insurance policies, “tools” are different from “equipment”. Tools are classified as items that are generally valued up to $1000-2500 (think hand saw, and cordless drill), while equipment includes items that are valued above that (like your bulldozers, and power generators).

          Installation floater insurance covers any materials or items that are yet to be installed (e.g. cabinets, countertops, sinks, etc.) in the event that they are lost, damaged, or stolen—regardless if they have made it to the site of the project or if they have been in transit.

          Surety Bonding

          Surety Bonding

          Your project, protected.

          More jobs are requiring bonds. This means contractors need to start looking to set up their bond facility in advance to help ensure a successful bid on projects. 

          We understand the impact and importance of timely delivery of bonds for your business projects. The initial setup is the most time-consuming, it takes a great deal of information and documentation to secure a bonding facility. Our relationships with our various surety partners helps create trust which streamlines the bonding process. 

          Learn more about Surety Bonds.

          Wrap Up Liability

          Wrap Up Liability

          There are two types of wrap-up insurance, owner-controlled and contractor-controlled.

          Wrap Up Liability protects the team involved in a construction project against third party and general liability exposure associated with their project. From owners, developers, engineers and architects to project managers and contractors – it’s an all-encompassing insurance for larger scale projects.