Car Insurance

Car Insurance
Connect with Us! 1.855.740.4700 Get a quote today!

Driving in Ontario may mean that you are headed down the highway during an icy snowstorm, sitting in traffic on the 401, or gazing at the summer sunset over the skyline. Having the right broker in your corner can help you feel confident your insurance coverage protects your best interests, so you can cruise comfortably.

There are a number of factors to consider when looking for car insurance – everything from the age of car and driver, to numbers of cars being insured, to driving records. – just to name a few. We will work with you to determine what type of insurance plans best suits your situation.

Factors considered in your car insurance premium: 

  • Age of the car
  • Age of the driver
  • Driving record
  • How often you drive
  • Make and model of car
  • Number of cars being insured
  • Where you live

Did you know Classic Car insurance is different from your standard car insurance policy?
Connect with us to discuss more!

Car insurance Eligibility and Restrictions:

In Ontario, you (and all the drivers you wish to include in the policy) must have a valid driver’s license. Insurance companies will look at all the factors above to determine eligibility and rate.

Other insurance conditions may arise depending on the type of vehicle, its use, and any customizations or modifications made to the vehicle. So if you plan to alter/update your vehicle to enhance its performance or appearance, connect with your local broker first. We can help confirm that you will still have coverage in place for your car after the its work is done and if the modification after your premium.


How is my car insurance rate calculated ?

All insurance providers use a different algorithm based on factors like; the age of the car, age of the driver, driving record, how often you drive, make and model of car, number of cars being insured, and where you live.

Looking at quotes online is not always comparing apples to apples. Many online raters use standard coverages, but they tend to be basic in their inclusions. Treating each car insurance quote the same. And ultimately, tending to not include some important coverages that many assume to be there when obtaining their car insurance. That’s why it’s good to use a broker. At Gifford Carr, we work with partners from coast to coast to find the best fit and coverage for you.

What is the minimum coverage in Ontario?

In Ontario, the types of auto insurance you need to have by law are: Liability Coverage, Direct Compensation, Uninsured Automobile Coverage, and Accident Benefit Coverage. It’s the bare minimum . We typically recommend more full-some protection to cover you best interests as a car owner and operator.

You can find more details on the regulations for car insurance, including minimum coverage, from the Financial Services Commission of Ontario. And connect with your local broker to talk more about the best protection available for you.

What’s covered under my auto insurance in Ontario?

While driving in Ontario, you are required to have the mandatory minimum required insurance coverage. However, our brokers can provide you with more information on extended coverage for your truck, car, motorcycle, or other vehicles to match your driving needs.

What are the payment options for my premium?

Typically you have the option of monthly, three pay, or annual premium payments. Monthly is typically easier to budget but there can be some premium savings benefits to annual payments.

If I let my friend drive my car, will they be covered?

As long as your friend has a valid driver’s license and meets the other conditions of your policy, he or she should be covered under your insurance policy. However, if they are involved in an at-fault accident it could potentially affect your premium, so make sure to always be cautious when lending your car to friends.

How long do tickets and/or accidents stay on my driving record?

For any moving violations in Ontario, it will stay on your driving record for a period of three years from the conviction date. With at-fault accidents, it could remain on your driving record for a total of up to 10 years with some insurance companies.

How do I report a claim?

To report an auto claim (you can call the number provided on your insurance “pink slip” or) you can connect with your broker during our regular business hours Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm.

We get that accidents don’t always fall during regular business hours. That’s why we have a 24/7 claims centre to help get your claim started in case of emergencies: 1.855.740.4700

Is there a benefit to driving a hybrid or electric vehicle?

It depends on the insurer, although electric automobiles can cost more to insure than traditional gas vehicles some insurers offer benefits for the environmental choice, qualifying you for a discount.

Did you recently switch to a hybrid or electric vehicle? Connect with your local broker to confirm if there is a benefit available to your premium.

Hit the open road, safely.

Bundle it! – Let’s talk about your multi-policy discount!

Get bigger savings, and more full-some coverage, when you insure more than your primary vehicle. Ask your broker about the options to bundle all your insurance needs. Learn more about all the insurance solutions with Gifford Carr by selecting one of the options below.

Personal Insurance Services

Get in touch
Get in touch
Get in touch
Complete the form to connect with your local Gifford Carr broker to get a detailed quote. Trust us to ensure you are protected. So you can focus on what matters.

    What type of insurance are you shopping for? Select all that apply.

        Contact our team
        Contact our team
        Contact our team
        Complete the form to connect with your local Gifford Carr broker to get a detailed quote. Trust us to ensure you are protected. So you can focus on what matters.

          Loss of Use

          Loss of Use

          Accidents happen, a rental vehicle can help get you around town in the meantime.

          This coverage, standard in most car coverage packages, provides you with the use of a rental vehicle while your car is in the shop after a collision.

          Liability of Non-Owned Vehicles

          Liability of Non-Owned Vehicles

          Coverage for the rental cars you drive.

          This policy, typically included in your car coverage package, extends your auto insurance coverage for you when you are driving a rented vehicle.

          Waiver of Depreciation

          Waiver of Depreciation

          Otherwise known as the replacement cost of your vehicle.

          Adding the waiver of depreciation offers a dollar value in the event your car is a write off. This optional coverage is available when you buy new, which means the insurer will give you a rate as if it did not depreciate in value as quickly as it does when you drive off the lot. Making it more in line with your expense paid or the  purchase price.

          Collision or Comprehensive

          Collision or Comprehensive

          There are three types of coverage to consider here.

          • COLLISION; the standard physical damage coverage for your car. Protecting you if your car comes into contact with an other vehicle or object.
          • COMPREHENSIVE; protects you from hazards like fire, theft, vandalism and weather – in insurance we call it non-collision related events.
          • ALL PERILS; this combines the two, Collision and Comprehensive coverage.

          Accident Benefit Coverage

          Accident Benefit Coverage

          Protects the the human side of driving.

          This coverage adds protection for both you should you get injured while driving.

          Personal Injury + Property Damage Liability

          Personal Injury + Property Damage Liability

          Protecting you from litigation, out-of-court settlements, and judgements awarded by the courts.

          These two pieces of coverage protect you against lawsuits involving third parties (people and property) claiming damages in court.